Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Oh that Light Box...

In my adventures to getting better pictures of the items I make and list on Etsy, the best thing I have done is make a light box. Some people are addicted to chocolate or Coke, but not me, don't even think about taking my light box away from me, you would only be asking for trouble. HA!

I recently looked at one of my first sold items and quickly decided the buyer bought the item out of sympathy. Oh the GLARE! That's when I began searching the net for ideas to better photograph my items, and repeatedly I read that having a light box was an essential tool for product photography.

I could have bought one, but being the crafty person I am, I decided to take on the challenge of making it myself. Which turned out to be extremely easy and cheap! Total cost was $1.50, yes, you read that correctly. Box was "Free", a trip to the dollar store netted the tissue paper and poster board. Then it was home to make the box.

Below is the finished light box. If you have any questions, leave me a comment and I will be happy to reply.


And here is the actual photo taken using the light box...


If you are serious about taking better product photography, you can't go wrong with the following four items:
1) Light Box (homemade or bought)
2) Tripod
3) Clamp lights/Natural Light/Overhead light (Flash is a No-No)
4) Camera with a Macro Setting (for close ups)

Have fun and don't come looking for me when you find yourself addicted to product photography. :)
Carly

________________________________________________


9 comments:

  1. I sorely needed this little how-to, thank you so much for posting! Best thing is I'm cleaning out my supplies right now and just found TONS of scrap cardboard and poster board that would be perfect for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! So happy it helped. Enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really helpful - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NICE I need to make me one of those! Hey I am in Arizona too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy neighbor Nangijala! If you need help making one, let me know. :)

    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stitchntyme - Thanks for sharing - found this in today's forum, compliments of RocCityPretty. Can you tell me how you did the lighting? Where do you position your lights and/or what type of lights have you used?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi TheWellSeasonedNest,

    I use a floor model lamp with a bendable neck. Works really great because I can angle the light where I want it. The lamp is similar to an OTT light.

    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Carly, I will try to make a lightbox this weekend. My pictures do not jump out at anyone, including me. I like the way you have the earrings merchandised, very professional. Keep up the great work.
    Dona Hepfinger
    Homecraft Framing and Gifts

    ReplyDelete